My name is Thomas Sarmis, I was born in 1981. I live in Athens, Greece and work as a software engineer. You can contact me at thomas.sarmis[at]gmail.com
In Icon Gaming as System Architect & Head of Development Dept (April 2015 - Now), We are developing a Slot Machine with multiple games and SAS 6.02 compatibility. The Slot Machine and the software have been certified by GLI as GLI 11 compliant. I’m responsible for designing the system’s architecture, implementing the core modules of the system, implementing the slot game logics and overseeing the development department.
In Indie Gaming as Software Engineer (Nov 2010 - March 2015), I was responsible for designing the system’s architecture, for implementing the core modules of the system, and for the game logics.
In Forth, Computational Vision & Robotics Lab as Research & Developer Engineer (Sep 2007 - Sep 2010), I was responsible for building proof of concept and demo-quality applications that utilized state of the art techniques in the field of computer vision and multicamera systems in order to extract high-level information from video streams. My focus was on developing a system that was capable of distributed & synchronized image acquisition from multi-camera systems, online and offline processing via modular platform in multiple processing nodes (cpu & gpu) in order to extract high level information and communicate it to other systems, and developing and/or integrating said processing algorithms for extracting high - level information like structure, position, pose, etc from the multicamera streams. Also, a set of utilities was developed to facilitate system’s coordination and camera cluster calibration
In Dept. of Informatics Engineering, as part-time Professor in Graphics (OpenGL) (Sep 2007 - Sep 2008)
Curator (Node.js/SQL Server) A Museum collection management web app (Private Individual 2017)
Database Deployment and test tool (Python) A tool that deploys a database and runs unit tests against it.
Slot Machine (EGM) (Delphi / SQL Server) A Stand-alone, GLI 11 compliant (certified) gaming slot machine. I was part of the team that build the slot machine. My role was to design the overall architecture and provide the game server, the slot game engine, and the SAS module (Icon Gaming 2016)
Slot Game Engine (Delphi) An advanced slot machine engine that supports multiple features like free-games, bonus rounds, and progressive awards, was certified by GLI as GLI 11 compliant.
Game Server (Delphi / SQL Server) A Game server capable of hosting both soft and casino games (Icon Gaming 2012)
Integrations for soft games (Delphi) Two integrations for the soft games that where developed in Icon Gaming (Icon Gaming 2011)
Game Engines for “soft” games (Delphi) Multiple game engines for soft (non-casino) gamble games (like match-three, etc) that were deployed in lotteries. (Icon Gaming 2011)
Geotagger (C#) Very simple application that communicates with google earth to geo-tagg jpeg(s). (Personal, 2010)
Kinect / Animata bridge (C#) A simple bridge/proxy application that receives data from the Kinect Sensor, process them and transmits them to the Animata application, the target was to have a 2-D model mirror the movements of a person (Private individual, 2011)
Makedonopixels - “Macedonia: from fragments to pixels” (ICS-FORTH, AMI Program, 2009). The exhibition features applications based on the multicamera platform.
Distributed Multi-camera platform for 3D reconstruction of volumes (Delphi & OpenCV) (ICS-FORTH/CVRL, GRASP & AMI Programs, 2007 - 2010). The platform supports distributed & synchronized image acquisition and distributed processing across multiple computers. The processing software provided a UI for combining & configured the computer vision processing modules in order to provide a test-bed for implementing computer vision processing pipelines.
Trinocular System with structured light (Delphi & OpenCV) The system features a construction where three cameras and a light source are mounted. The light source projects structured light (light patterns) in the infrared spectrum facilitating the reconstruction of otherwise visually featureless objects. The intended purpose was to be able to reconstruct very small objects (4 < cubic cm). (ICS-FORTH/CVRL, 2009)
Multispectral Images Registration Tool (C# & OpenCV) A software tool that enables the spatial registration of multispectral images that are misaligned due to the acquisition method involving movable filters that induced shacking. In order to extract accurate measurements across the spectrum the images must be aligned. (Private individual, 2009)
Multi-camera calibration toolkit (ICS-FORTH/CVRL 2007)
MultiSens - Cameras as Multifunctional Sensors for Automated Processes My Master thesis was part of the deliverable of ICS-FORTH/CVRL for the European project multisens. Specifically, the proof-of-concept software that demonstrated the case for using cameras as sensors was my master thesis
Laboratory Information System for the Microbiology lab of ”ΠΑ.Γ.Ν.Η” hospital - I was a junior developer in the team that build the software (2002-2003)
Custom Information Management System for Ε.Φ.Ε.Τ Ηρακλειου A simple system that enabled the recording a monitor of the procedures of Ε.Φ.Ε.Τ. Ηρακλείου (2003)
ActiveX Live Chart Render (Delphi) A Custom ActiveX object that rendered a chart based on live data as a jpeg image to be used in web sites
WEB SMS Service automation hack (Delphi) A dll that enabled automatically sending an sms via an sms web service when an important e-mail arrived at our mail server (2001)
ActiveX Wrapper for the windows user management API (Delphi) An ActiveX wrapper for common user management functions of windows that was build in order to enable user and access management from ASP websites (2000)
- SQL Server
- Department of Computer Science, University of Crete (Msc) Sep 2003 - Apr 2006
- Department of Informatics Engineering, TEI of Crete (Bachelor) Sep 1999 - Sep 2003
- Smart Sensor Based Vision System for Automated Processes Emerging Technologies, Robotics & Control Systems, ISAR Jun. 2007 A.A. Argyros, G. Bártfai, C. Eitzinger, Z. Kemény, B.Cs. Csáji, L. Kék, M. Lourakis, W. Reisner, W. Sandrisser, T. Sarmis, G. Umgeher, Z. Viharos
- A prototypical Interactive Exhibition for the Archaeological Museum of Thessaloniki Heritage in the Digital Era 2013 D. Grammenos, X. Zabulis, D. Michel, P. Padeleris, T. Sarmis, G. Georgalis, P. Koutlemanis, K. Tzevanidis, A.A. Argyros, M. Sifakis, P. Adam-Veleni, C. Stephanidis
- Multicamera human detection and tracking supporting natural interaction with large scale displays MVA Journal 2013 X. Zabulis, D. Grammenos, T. Sarmis, K. Tzevanidis, P. Padeleris, P. Koutlemanis, A.A. Argyros
- Macedonia from Fragments to Pixels: A Permanent Exhibition of Interactive Systems at the Archaeological Museum of Thessaloniki EuroMed Nov 2012 D. Grammenos, X. Zabulis, D. Michel, P. Padeleris, T. Sarmis, G. Georgalis, P. Koutlemanis, K. Tzevanidis, A. A. Argyros, M. Sifakis, P. Adam-Veleni, C. Stephanidis
- Smart Sensor Based Vision System for Automated Processes Factory Automation, Robotics and Soft Computing, Thomson Scientific Jul 2007 A.A. Argyros, G. Bártfai, C. Eitzinger, Z. Kemény, B.Cs.Csáji, L. Kék, M. Lourakis, W. Reisner, W. Sandrisser, T. Sarmis, G. Umgeher, Z. Viharos
- Design and Development of Four Prototype Interactive Edutainment Exhibits for Museums HCI International July 2011 D. Grammenos, X. Zabulis, D. Michel, T. Sarmis, G. Georgalis, K. Tzevanidis., A.A. Argyros, C. Stephanidis
- A platform for monitoring aspects of human presence in real-time ISVC Nov 2010 X. Zabulis, T. Sarmis, K. Tzevanidis, P. Koutlemanis, D. Grammenos, A.A. Argyros
- Exploration of large-scale museum artifacts through non-instrumented, location-based, multi-user interaction VAST Sep 2010 X. Zabulis, D. Grammenos, T. Sarmis, K. Tzevanidis, A.A. Argyros
- From multiple views to textured 3D meshes: a GPU-powered approach CVGPU in conjuction with ECCV Sep 2010 K. Tzevanidis, X. Zabulis, T. Sarmis, P. Koutlemanis, N. Kyriazis, A.A. Argyros
- A Pioneer Approach in 3-D Imaging of Psoriatic Lesions Symposium of the Greek Society for Dermatology Jan 2010 A. Kokolakis, K. Lasithiotakis, P. Psycharakis, K. Krasagakis, S. Kruger-Krasagakis, X. Zabulis, T. Sarmis, G. Georgiadis, C. Stephanidis, A. Manios, A. Tosca
- 3D head pose estimation from multiple distant views BMVC Sep 2009 X. Zabulis, T. Sarmis, A.A. Argyros
- Rapid Prototyping of an AmI-augmented Office Environment Demonstrator HCI: Ambient, Ubiquitous and Intelligent Interaction Jul 2009 D. Grammenos, Y. Georgalis, N. Partarakis, X. Zabulis, T. Sarmis, S. Kartakis, P. Tourlakis, A.A. Argyros, C. Stephanidis
- Building a multi-touch display based on computer vision techniques MVA May 2009 D. Michel, A.A. Argyros, D. Grammenos, X. Zabulis, T. Sarmis
- A multicamera vision system supporting the development of wide-area exertainment applications MVA May 2009 X. Zabulis, T. Sarmis, D. Grammenos, A.A. Argyros
- Robust and Efficient Event Detection for the Monitoring of Automated Processes VIE - Invited contribution Sep 2006 T. Sarmis, A.A. Argyros, M.I.A. Lourakis, K. Hatzopoulos
- A Checkerboard Detection Utility for Intrinsic and Extrinsic Camera Cluster Calibration Technical Report, ICS-FORTH 2009 T. Sarmis, X. Zabulis, A.A. Argyros
- A Software Platform for the Acquisition and Online Processing of Images in a Camera Network ERCIM News Jan. 2009 T. Sarmis, X. Zabulis, A.A. Argyros